February 14, 2020
Garrett repeats allegation on ESPN (Mina Kimes interview)
On Feb. 14, 2020 Myles Garrett told ESPN's Mina Kimes that Mason Rudolph 'called me the N-word,' repeating an allegation he had raised during his appeals hearing. Mason Rudolph publicly denied the claim and his representatives warned of legal exposure [3][6][7].
Quick Facts
What Happened
On Feb. 14, 2020 Myles Garrett spoke on ESPN's Outside the Lines with Mina Kimes and explicitly restated that he heard Mason Rudolph use a racial slur during the Nov. 14, 2019 on-field altercation. On air, Garrett said, "He called me the N-word. He called me a 'stupid N-word.'" [3]. The interview placed the exact contested wording on the public record beyond the earlier, less-detailed appeals reporting. In the immediate aftermath of the broadcast, Mason Rudolph issued a public denial on Twitter calling the allegation "1000% False. Bold-Faced Lie. I did not, have not, and would not utter a racial-slur. This is a disgusting and reckless attempt to assassinate my character" [6]. Rudolph's agent and legal representatives publicly warned that Garrett faced potential legal liability after repeating the allegation, and legal commentary analyzed the difficulty of bringing a defamation claim given the 'actual malice' standard for public figures [7][6]. The ESPN interview thus intensified media attention on the unresolved factual dispute between Garrett and Rudolph by placing Garrett's precise phrasing into widespread circulation [3][6].
What They Said
“He called me the N-word. He called me a 'stupid N-word.'”
“1000% False. Bold-Faced Lie. I did not, have not, and would not utter a racial-slur. This is a disgusting and reckless attempt to assassinate my character.”
Why It Matters
Garrett's on-air repetition of the specific slur wording mattered because it put the allegation in an unambiguous, quotable form on national television, prompting immediate denials and legal threats from Rudolph's camp and renewed media discussion about possible defamation exposure. The interview transformed a claim first reported in appeals coverage into an explicit public accusation that shaped the reputational stakes for both players [3][6][7].
What Happened Next
Following the interview, Mason Rudolph publicly denied the allegation and his agent warned of legal action; media outlets published legal analysis explaining that a defamation suit would face a high bar for a public figure, requiring proof of actual malice [6][7]. The NFL had previously stated it 'found no evidence' to support the slur allegation, and that league finding continued to be cited in coverage after the interview [1]. No public civil lawsuit by Rudolph related to the allegation was filed through reporting available into 2025 [7][10].