October 31, 2019

Durant Says the Incident Factored in His Decision to Leave

On Oct. 31, 2019 Kevin Durant told ESPN's First Take that the Nov. 12, 2018 locker-room altercation with Draymond Green 'definitely' was a factor in his decision to leave the Golden State Warriors and sign with Brooklyn, adding he wished the incident 'wouldn't have happened' [2].

Quick Facts

Date
Oct 31, 2019
Platform
ESPN First Take interview
Key line
Durant said the incident 'definitely' was a factor in his decision to leave [2]

What Happened

On October 31, 2019, in an interview on ESPN's First Take, Kevin Durant addressed his July 2019 free-agent decision and spoke directly about the November 12, 2018 exchange with Draymond Green, which had been widely reported in the media. Durant stated, 'I wish that wouldn't have happened. I feel like that was a situation that definitely could have been avoided. It really came out of nowhere,' and added that when 'your teammate talked to you that way, you think about it a bit... but definitely [it was a factor], for sure, I'm not going to lie about it' [2]. Durant framed the November 2018 episode as one element among multiple factors—he cited roster considerations and a 'need for a switch'—but his on-record admission provided a direct link between the locker-room confrontation and his decision to sign with the Brooklyn Nets in July 2019 [2]. The First Take remarks converted contemporaneous reporting and teammate speculation into a player-confirmed reason for departure.

What They Said

I wish that wouldn't have happened. I feel like that was a situation that definitely could have been avoided. It really came out of nowhere.

Kevin Durant, On ESPN's First Take when asked whether the Nov. 2018 incident played a role in his decision to leave Golden State

I mean, your teammate talked to you that way, you think about it a bit... but definitely [it was a factor], for sure, I'm not going to lie about it.

Kevin Durant, Further comments on First Take linking the Nov. 12, 2018 exchange to his decision to depart

Why It Matters

Durant’s October 31, 2019 on-record statement is significant because it represents the primary source attribution from Durant himself that the November 2018 confrontation affected his decision-making: rather than remaining speculative reporting, the incident became a documented, admitted factor in a major roster move—Durant’s free-agent signing with Brooklyn [2]. That attribution reshaped analysis of the Warriors’ core breakup and of how intra-team conflict can affect personnel outcomes.

What Happened Next

After Durant's public acknowledgement, media coverage and retrospective accounts incorporated the Nov. 12 incident into explanations for his 2019 departure; Warriors figures later reflected on the dispute, and in August 2021 Durant and Green discussed the episode together, shifting some focus to how management handled the aftermath [2][5]. Durant’s First Take remarks therefore served as a bridge between contemporaneous 2018 reporting and later joint reflections by the players [2][5].